Thursday 6 April 2017

The Past Is Important To Our Lives

To conclude our 'Taonga' Inquiry we agreed with the generalisation that the past is important in our lives. Read Sativa's generalisation below.

The past is important in our lives. Think back over the events of your past. From that time to today is your history, and it is important. You learned, you made mistakes, and you grew.

We need to remember the events of the past in order to not make the same mistakes in the future. During the 1981 Springbok tour there were riots caused by the New Zealand Government seeming to support the apartheid system in South Africa. In 2017 in the USA there seems to be a movement of separating people based on race. The USA should learn from the past that separating people based on race causes tension, fighting and even deaths.

The past is also important because we can learn about our ancestors and culture. It gives us a better understanding of who we are today. Even though we are kiwis or New Zealanders we discovered that lots of our traditions and customs can be traced back to Britain e.g. rugby, fish and chips and laws.

My past is important to me because it helps me identify with my culture and heritage. Being Maori makes me feel more connected to the world. It is also good to remember the past because you learn from all your  mistakes. The past can also influence who you are today, for example my past has helped me become a leader in speaking Maori in my class.



No comments:

Post a Comment